In bandurria spi is working with a local reed artisan community to provide them with a sustainable livelihood and a place to live which turns them from those who threaten the site to those who can most act to preserve it
- SPI has built and opened new retail and production space for the community - designed by a local architect with full consultation of the artisans.
- Led by Peruvian graphic designers from local universities, a new brand and logo for the artisans has been developed, spearheading the drive for new sales.
- These interventions have boosted sales and left the artisans with a stronger business!
The big thing we have learned
- An existing contract with an international supplier paid very little in a market overcrowded with generic product. Unique products incorporating local cultural heritage and a strong domestic market will be the foundation for success!
- Local and national authorities, impressed by the work so far, are enthusiastic supporters of the project and will be promoting the site heavily to domestic and international tourists in 2017.